RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge

To: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge
From: K Ohlgren <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 01:03:23 +0000
tom
i posted this a while back for someone else, here it is for you;

what yr is your truck? i did my 58 myself with a $20 volt gauge and a little
creativity. looks stock, too. the 55-58 gauges use the same size guts as a 2
1/4 inch round gauge. i drilled out the stock amp gauge faceplate rivets and
put the volt gauge guts into the stock mount. the stock gauge face has dimples
that you need to hammer flat to get the face plate sitting far enough back.
after hammering the dimples flat you just re-drill the holes and screw it on
the volt gauge guts. new gauges use plastic needles, so i cut off both and jb
welded (epoxy) the stock needle on the volt gauge. the speedo face plate has
amp embosed on it and still does. i hooked a 14 volt source to it and set the
needle in pointing to the center dot, so as long as the volt gauge is around
the middle, i'm ok. i cleaned up everything and used crinkle paint on the
speedo backing plate, i think it looks awesome. i was going to paint
everything yellow like the dash but the white letters on the face plate would
have been hard to read, so it's black crinkle now.Kurt 58 3100 Apache project
the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and going...When I die, i want to go
asleep and peaceful, not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the
car.  > From: tntcoop@earthlink.net> To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net> Subject:
[oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge> Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 20:12:41 -0400> >
I have gotten spooked about using my stock amp gauge with an alternator.> I
was told the amp gauge may not be able to handle the amount of amps> the
alternator will put out, its rated at 63 amps.> I was also told that if I get
a short it could burn up my truck. I was> going to put a fuesable link in the
line but that may not avoid a bad> situation.> > Does anyonme know where I can
get a volt gauge that will fit into my> original instrument cluster and still
look like my amp gauge does?> > If there is no such creature, do I have any
other options other than a> volt gauge under the dash? What is the safest way
to wire the amp gauge?> Thanks > Tom in SC>
Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_s
kydrive_052008