re: [oletrucks] automatic transmission problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: re: [oletrucks] automatic transmission problem
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:41:27 -0400
1984 should not need a computer.

Tranny will run without torque converter lockup, but it will run hot. I
suggest wiring in a manual switch or a vacuum switch. Kits are not
expensive either. Does the tranny have a little weatherpack 4 pin
connector that faces upward?

As for 700r4 vs 2004r, I forget all the various ways to tell the
difference. The one that stands out is the bellhousing on the 2004r
would fit chevy and buick/olds/pontiac, so I think you would find unused
bolt holes.

Make sure the throttle valve cable is hooked up, or the tranny will be
destroyed quickly. Some people mistake it for a downshift cable and try
to leave it off. The amount of travel on that cable at wide open
throttle is reported to be critical-- never left it off to find out. I
think the TV cable being off is not enough to keep it from working, but
it will slip in gear.

Make sure fluid level is up, if you don't have a cooler installed, put a
loop of hose to bypass rather than plug off the line. Make sure your
shifter is actually moving the input shaft. Make sure the drive shaft
yoke is inserted far enough to engage (seems unlikely that it wouldn't be).

Keith