re: [oletrucks] automatic transmission problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: re: [oletrucks] automatic transmission problem
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:49:19 -0400
http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/748599/10002/-1/10733

lists a wiring kit and a solenoid. Mine already had the proper solenoid
in it. I did have to take off the pan to check the wiring though--
apparently GM wasn't consistent.

Inside are some pressure switches that can disable lockup in various
gears. When the solenoid gets power, the torque converter locks up.
These kits usually cut power to the solenoid at wide open throttle using
the vacuum switch, and the switches inside the tranny disable lockup in
lower gears. If you're towing, you probably want to wire it so you can
force lockup in 3rd.

None of this will keep your truck from driving though-- I still haven't
finished wiring mine, and I last messed with the transmission wiring
about 8 years ago. Look for something else causing trouble.

Keith