[oletrucks] temp gauge

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] temp gauge
From: "T Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:12:19 -0400
I have been busy at work and havnt had much time for my truck. Things have
settled down a little so I am starting back, so here goes.
I have to temp gauges for a 1955-59 truck. One of them is for electric and
the other has one line running to it. I heard the single line was mercury
and the other gauge was electric. I put the end of the mercury gauge in hot
water so I know it works. It looks like it may leak where the fitting goes
into the head though. The sending unit threads have 4 flat sides on them. It
looks like it is made that way,
http://www.coopscorner.com/55truck/55misc/startwiring.htm,  but I don't see
how it will not leak. Do I need lots of Teflon tape on the fitting?

Is there anyway to check the electric gauge without having power connected
to it? Someone told me I could check the ohms, but he didn't know what they
were suppose to be.
Anyway, I appreciate the help.