[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #3098

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #3098
From: Heather & Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:00:43 -0700
On Fri, 15 May 2009 17:28:16 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

>From: Kirk Pierce <kpierce883@bellsouth.net>
>Subject: [oletrucks] 60's suspension in earlier truck
>
>I recall seeing an article on installing the front end cross
>member/suspension into earlier trucks.
>
>I remember that the process was to grind off the heads of the rivets in
>order to remove the front end from the donor truck frame.  Then the
>middle had to be cut out to make it narrower, then weld back together.
>I don't remember how they attached to the frame though.
>
>Does anyone know if that information is available online, or if not,
>maybe someone has the article?
=============================
Here are a couple of articles. I had a link to another, but the link
is no good.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/50ifsswap.htm
http://www.50chevy.freeservers.com/Bolt_on_Independent_2.html

I did this on my '52 3/4 ton, in conjunction with a later differential
and an LT1/700R4. If you use a front end from a '73-'88 truck, you
will get disc brakes. I think the Suburbans used the same front ends
for another couple of years. They are bolted, not riveted, but you do
have to cut a bunch of rivets out of your AD.

I see absolutely NO reason to cut the newer front end. You gain only
about 1-1/2" total by doing so. That's less than 3/4" per side. I used
tapered spacers on each side.

The key for me was selecting the right wheels. For my 3/4 ton, I
bought steel Dodge wheels from around 2001 with 6" of backset to bring
the tires under the fenders. See

http://www.brakecylinder.com/images/52chevy/chev032.jpg

It's possible to modify original hubcaps and install them onto these
wheels. I've done the spare but haven't gotten around to the rest of
the wheels.

I don't know about wheels for a half ton, but I see that early 2000's
Chevy trucks have wheels with a lot of backset.

Have the alignment shop add a little extra caster to compensate for
the slightly negative scrub radius, to help the steering come back to
center after turning. This truck drives out very nicely. First time I
merged onto a freeway I found myself doing 80 before I knew it.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive