[oletrucks] Calling all leaf spring gurus...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Calling all leaf spring gurus...
From: "Doug W" <dwpumps@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:20:09 -0700
I have a 1956 3100, = ton truck. Im in the process of restoring it to
original condition. When I disassembled the leaf springs (big mistake), the
individual springs were held together with two part clips made from about
1/16th inch flat metal. The band part of the clip was about 1 inch wide and
fit through slots on the plate part of the clip, and then the ends of the
bands folded back on themselves, securing the spring pack together. Some of
the bands had a partially punched hole in the top, so the remaining tab
would fit into the hole in the leaf spring, preventing it from walking up or
down from its intended position on the spring assembly.

Upon disassembling the leaf spring packs, I found I couldnt re-use the
bands, after straightening them to remove them. When I tried to re-bend them
through the plates, the bands developed cracks from being straightened, and
then re-bent to go through the slots in the plates.

So I contacted the vendor who appeared to be the most knowledgeable on leaf
springs for our trucks, and ordered a complete set of new spring clips for
all four of my leaf spring packs. But what I received were nothing like what
I took apart.

What I received were 3/16 inch thick single-part clips, as opposed to the
much thinner two-part clips. The single-part clips are about > inch wide and
appear designed to be positioned on the leaf spring pack, and then the ends
pressed or hammered to bend over the sides of the springs. Some of the
single-part clips have full through holes in the top, but it is unclear to
me what is supposed to go in this hole to line up with the hole in the
springs, to prevent the clip from changing position on the spring pack.

Question: can others with the stock = ton 1956 3100 trucks, check their leaf
springs and let me know what kind of clip holds the leaf spring packs
together? Are they the thin, two-part clips (band and plate), or the much
heavier gauge single-part clips, with the ends bent over the spring sides?
>From the simple illustrations in the assembly manual, it appears like the
heavy gauge metal, single-part designs are drawn, but it is hard to tell.

Assuming the two-part clips I took off were the original and correct clips,
does anyone know where to get these replacements? Or, should I simply order
up some new 1/16 thick by 1 inch wide flat metal material, and make my own?
But partially punching a hole in the top to create a tab, may be difficult.

Thank you all.

Doug