Re: [Oletrucks] 54 truck

To: "henry rhone" <henry@signalpeak.net>,
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 54 truck
From: jjstultz@msn.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 02:56:23 +0000
I put a 350 700r4 combo in my 54 and had to put a spacer block between frame
rail and gear box along with using block hugger headers.  The down side to this
is my driver side tire rubs pitman arm.  In hindsight I should have used
narrower tires up front.  I also had to cut fire wall slightly to account for
the outward shift in the steering column. because of this, I had to put filler
pieces in firewall so that I could use a standard steering column boot to seal
the cab from engine heat.  I'm assuming you have the original steering column.
For the engine mounts, I used a front mounting setup that bolts to the two
holes on either side of the front bottom of the block.  I also had to cut cross
member down a 1/2" vertically so the trans pan didn't rub, then had custom rear
trans cross member fabricated. I've been pleased with the setup but wish I had
spent the money to put in power steering.  With an aftermarket 15" steering
wheel, it's really hard to turn when you're not in motion.  Hope this helps.
Justin
Phoenix, AZ
1954 Chevy 3100