Re: [Oletrucks] fuel gauge

To: Paul Bytheway <Paul.Bytheway@schreiberfoods.com>,
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] fuel gauge
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:48:08 +0000
Step A.
At the back side of the fuel gauge, remove the wire that runs to the tank.
Turn on the key.

STEP B.
If the gauge reads full go to step C.
Measure the voltage on the other wire connected to the gauge.
If it is battery voltage your gauge is bad.
If it is zero, repair wiring until you get battery voltage at the gauge.

STEP C. (the gauge reads full in step A)
Turn off the key.
Re-attach the wire to the gauge that was removed in step A.
Carefully remove the other end of that same wire where it attaches to the
sending unit at the fuel tank.  Try to move the wire as little as possible.
Turn on the key.

Step D.
If the gauge reads full go to step E.
Turn off the key.
The wire between the gauge and the sending unit is grounded somewhere.  You
could either fix the wire (it may be hard to find the bad spot) or run a new
wire completely replacing the original.

Step E.
Turn off the key.
The sending unit is bad.