Re: [Oletrucks] Frantz oil filter

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Frantz oil filter
From: Robert Swanson <mapa-kettle@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:21:21 -0700
Smokey,
        I have owned several of them, and in their day they did the job
reasonably
well.  The problem is, that you need the old tightly wrapped toilette paper
rolls that are only available at commercial janitorial establishments.
Another disadvantage of the Franz filter, was that they were subject to
channelling.  This means that because the toilette paper was not stabilized
into some kind of support framework, the oil would eventually punch its way
straight through the filter, much like breaching a dam, and then the oil
would pass through this hole rather than to be properly filtered.
        I have been involved in oil and the filtering of oil since the mid
sixties,
and there have been many gadgets that have come and gone during this time.
        If you are thinking of adding a full flow filter to your '50 engine, I
am not
familiar enough with the engine to know if there was an option to add a
filter like there was in the 55 and 6 cylinder engines, but with some
checking it should not be too difficult to find this out.  It is critically
important not to install a bypass filter where a full flow filter should be
installed.  The bypass filter, because of its finer media, does not allow
enough of a flow rate to allow an adequate amount of oil to circulate in the
engine.  A good analogy, would be a person with clogged arteries attempting
to do the 4 minute mile.  The engine would be oil starved.
        If you really want a good bypass filter with excellent performance, I
would
recommend an Amsoil bypass filter which sells for approximately 40.00.
Bob Swanson
certifiable Chevy lover
Canada