[Oletrucks] Cab on? Cab off?

To: <Oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Oletrucks] Cab on? Cab off?
From: "Doug W" <dwpumps@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:13:31 -0700
Truckers,

Thanks to some people on this list (you know who you are.), I now have my
'56 project in the rolling chassis stage. It's actually fun to roll the
frame around the garage on its new wide-whitewall tires and wheels, after
being on jack stands for so long.

So, it won't be much longer and I'll be able to start the body work. And
here's my question. Do I do the metal and body work with the cab sitting on
the nice, clean, powder-coated frame, where every nut, bolt and other part
has been either cleaned, painted or powder-coated? Or, do I try to do the
cutting, welding and sanding of rusted body panels with the cab off the
frame, and only do the final prep work (panel alignment before painting...)
with the cab sitting on the finished frame?

I had planned to do all the cab body work while it was back on the frame.
But others have cringed after thinking of me putting the old, dirty and
rusty cab back on this freshly restored rolling chassis, and doing body
work. So, what advice can others who have been there, give me?

Thank you.

Doug

Oletrucks@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html