Re: [Oletrucks] 3 speed overdrive conversion

To: <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>, "'Oletrucks \(oletrucks\)'"
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 3 speed overdrive conversion
From: "Kirk Pierce" <kpierce883@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:42:00 -0600
I know this is an old thread, but I haven't been checking too frequently.  I
ran a 3 speed muncie od in my '57 half ton for several years and may put it
back in when the frame off is completed.  It took me a while to find a good
setup.  I tried several transmissions/OD units without finding any that
didn't whine or jump out of gear.  I ended up taking my good 3 speed and two
problematic transmissions with overdrive units to a trans shop and asked the
guy to take the best parts from them all and build a good overdrive.  This
worked out real well for me.

In the 1/2 ton, there was no change in length for the drive shaft.  I didn't
wire up all the controls on the throttle.  Instead, I just wired a switch
onto the shift lever (three on the column) and shifted manually in and out
of overdrive.  For me, this worked really well.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Kirk Pierce