Smithy cb-1220 xl

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Smithy cb-1220 xl
From: "Ronald G. Trimmer" <TrimmerR@icon-stl.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:47:38 -0700
I have been having problems with my email so hopefully this will get
delivered.

Does anyone have experence with the Smithy cb-1220 xl powerfeed
lathe-mill-drill?  What kind of jobs are too big for it?  How is the
Smithy company to deal with?

I plan to build a midengine dune buggy type car in order to test a
suspension system I am designing.  I plan to race the car in autox to
test out my design.

I am on the Smithy mailing list and have considered getting one of their
machines.  I have no machining experience.  It is difficult to decide
which model will do the job.

Yesterday my wife and I attended the Illinois State Fair.  Smithy had a
booth and a "fair special".

cb-1220 xl lathe-mill-drill with extended table(reg. $2075)    $1975
tool pak (reg $400)                                         no charge
33-005 heavy-duty milling table(reg. $210)                  no charge
k99-105 steady rest/follow rest(reg. $140)                  no charge
Ill. tax $118.50.  Shipping $120.

It has a 30 day money back guarantee.

This seems to be a better deal than the special offered in the catalog.

I know I will need to fabricate many suspension and steering parts.  I
foresee making cams, spline axles, gears, bushings, slots in steel plate
to provide camber and toe in adjustments, turning down bolts to make
pins, Watts linkages, the shock parts that control the damping,...

I placed an order, but will be out only the shipping cost one way if I
decide to return it with in 30 days.  Thanks in advance for all replies.

The CB-1220 XL specifications are:

General dimensions: 44" L, 25" W, 38" H
weight: 400lb
power: 110 volt
Mill/drillhead stock swivel: 360 degrees
calibrated dials: leadscrew, cross-slide, and tailstock 0.002", mill and
drill 0.040"
motor: 3/4 hp

Lathe
swing: 12" over bed, 7" over table
space between centers: 20"
spindle bore: 1.03"
headstock taper: Morse taper #4
speeds: six(160 to 1600 rpm)
powerfeed speeds: two
pitches:SAE(inches) 11 to 76 tpi, metric 0.5 to 3 mm
Dovetail ways
travel: 20" longitudinal, 8" cross-slide
tailstock taper: Morse taper #3

Mill
Millhead taper: Morse taper #3
Table dimensions: 16-1/2 x 5-7/8"
T-slot width: standard 7/16"
speeds: 12(125 to 1600 rpm)
accepts end mills up to 1-1/4" diameter
quill diam: 3"
working height: 6-1/4"min, 13" max

Drill
1/2" precision chuck(larger chucks available)
chuck arbor taper: Morse taper #3
spindle to table: 6 to 13"
spindle to support column: 6.9"
cutting depth: 3.75"
speeds: 12(125 to 1600 rpm)

Smithy offers a bigger model cb-1239 for $3,495 and some smaller models
that are less than the cb-1220.