PCB ballasts (was: Brake fluid disposal)

To: SHOP-TALK@AUTOX.TEAM.NET, Bruce Wentzel <76752.3101@compuserve.com>
Subject: PCB ballasts (was: Brake fluid disposal)
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 11:46:10 EST
     PCB's have not been used in any of these products since they were
     banned at least a decade ago.  I am most familiar with PCBs in
     ballasts for fluorescent lamps.  Ballasts manufactured post-1979 do
     not contain PCB's.  If the ballast is not labelled "No PCB", then
     assume it is a PCB ballast.

     If a PCB ballast is leaking cooling oil, then consider it a hazard.
     In fact EPA "recommends" that all PCB ballasts be treated as hazardous
     waste.  I would think twice about putting a PCB ballast in the trash
     if the local municipal waste goes to an incinerator.

     --Steve

Pardon my confusion, but how can PCBs be in so many products including
brake fluid if they have been banned?  Are they imported for these uses?

Bruce