Re: Mini-garage...

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>,
Subject: Re: Mini-garage...
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:34:26 -0400
At 04:33 PM 8/29/96 -0400, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

>... or how I spent my summer vacation
>
> I've been seized with garage envy of those of you who talk about
> your 30x70 ft garages with lifts, etc, etc.  I have a 14x27 garage;

<snip>

> I can't decide if I will be in my house long enough to make a major
> garage addition worthwhile, but on the other hand the realtor fees
> to move are about what a garage addition would cost.  Indecision is
> a terrible thing.

Ray,

  I have a simliar problem with my garage only it's 20x18.  What I
wanted to do was knock out the back wall and make a drive through.
Only my house sits caty corner on the lot and there isn't enough room
behind the house.  Next problem is my breakfast nook, pantry and laundary
room are actually the back 8 feet of the garage.  So even if
I could drive through, I can't with out loosing some valuable house
hold realistate. The second problem is that the way my house sit on
the lot, you can't get a car behind it.

 I did purchase and erector set (metal) shed and have about 1/2 a
Spit in there.  But I digress here.

What you have done sounds quit nice.  The one point I'd like to bring
up though is the cost of the garage.  I too would need a variance
in order to extend the front of my garage outward (the only real
option).  I have had several estimates running up to about $16,000
for a turnkey garage.  My estimates of material is under $6,000.

But how long does it take to "break even"?  I figure that if I *could*
get the waver and have the garage build for $16,000 that I should be
able to break even in about 8 years.

I'm assuming that I could recoup about $8,000 in the cost when I sell
the house.  This may be wishful thinking but I figure that so many
people would like either a wood shop, or a game room and a 20x20 ft.
room would be great.

Now I'm still out about $8,000.  Amortized that over the 8 years and
you get about $1,000 per year, or < $100 a mo.  The going rate
around here for a "U" store is just under $100/mo for what is about
the size of a single car garage.

Again, you're statement, " I can't decide if I will be in my house long
enough..." hits home.  When I bought my first house, I figured
I'd be there a long time.  Ended up being about 7 years.  By the time
I bought this house I wasn't so sure how long I'd be here.  That's
been 12 years now.  I love the house, the location, etc. so the
thought of staying another 8 years is no problem.  The biggest
obstical is the $16,000 front money.  Can't pay the 1st and 2nd
mort. as it is.

Anyone else have any thought about the cost effectiveness of adding
a garage and the break even time?

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!