Re[2]: Mini-garage...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: Mini-garage...
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 16:20:18 EST
     One solution I have considered for extra garage space is to buy a
     second house that comes with a large barn.  If one is already
     considering a garage addition, then why not consider using that same
     capital in a different way.  The idea would be to buy a two family
     house that could be rented out for enough monthy $ to cover the
     mortgage, and you get use of the garage for free.

     PRO:
     As others have pointed out in this discussion, a huge garage doesn't
     necessarily add to the value of the property, so theoretically, you
     wouldn't have to pay (much) extra for this garage/barn.  If you keep
     this second house long enough, your tenants will have paid for much of
     your investment and you will have had use of the garage for a long
     time.  Also, the two family house only has to be good enough to rent
     out, it doesn't have to appeal to you or your significant other as a
     place to live -- presumably your current place does that, except for
     the small garage.

     CON:
     Of course, its not really free:  you have to manage and maintain this
     property, be prepared to take a bath if you can't find renters at some
     point or if the renters you do find trash the place, and pay taxes,
     water, etc.  If you decide to sell after a few years, the realtor's
     fee will wipe out the "free" in "free garage".

     I'm sure there are other pro's and con's, and I hasten to add that I
     have not "invested" in a barn c/w rental house, but it is one way to
     add space.

     --Steve