Re: HVLP

To: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: HVLP
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 22:46:10 GMT
I have only  used HVLP guns so I can't speak from experience, but I
have read that HVLP guns apply paint more _slowly_  than the high
pressure guns.  With a turbine, you are using warmer air (85 degrees
=46.) than you would with a standard compressor, and the paint tends to
go on a little drier than you would expect.  That's easy to compensate
for by fiddling with the reducers, thinners, etc.  Warm air is one
argument against increased runs and sags.  The good part is that
turbine pumped air has no condensation and no added oil to worry
about.  In theory, the HVLP system could pay for itself with the paint
that you don't waste.

-Roland Wilhelmy

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:57:51 -0800, you wrote:

>My only HVLP usage tip, and this is secondhand info, is that it tends to
>put the paint on faster than an old fashioned high pressure spray gun.
>If you're used to high pressure guns, you may cause runs & sags the
>first time you try HVLP.
>
>keithka
>dreaming of the day I get to worry about the bodywork on my dismantled
>Elva
>

>>On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Bobbie Martin wrote:
>>
>>>    We've been offered an HVLP sprayer assembly for about half price. =
Does