High Volume Air compressors

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: High Volume Air compressors
From: Eric Petrevich <inchman@prolog.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:26:49 -0500
In my search for the "end-all" air compressor for my personal shop, I
found a kit for an old VW engine motor.
You take a in-line four VW engine and remove the heads.  Two cyclinders
become the engine and the other 2 are the air pump.  (A VW engine will
run on 2 cyc)  The kit was about $500 and I was able to get a VW engine
for a song.  I plan on mounting the unit to a trailer so it is
portable.  My calculations (which aren't very good)  I think I should be
able to pull about 50cfm at around 125psi.  Has anyone else tried one of
these?  If so, anything I should look out for?  I'm starting this
project this weekend.  I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW, does anyone have any tips for a large scale sandblasting booth?  I
was thinking of building a frame that I could put a tarp over (old pool
cover)  and blast away inside of that.  Any ideas?  TIA
--
Inch
http://augdev.com/Inch

I've had 2 wives and 3 kids, just none of my own yet!!!!