Re: sandblasting brake rotors

To: GreenDot@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: sandblasting brake rotors
From: dmeadow@JUNO.COM
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:26:37 EST
Yes, one very good one.  Sandblasting will create a rough surface that
will act like sandpaper on your brake pads, destroying them in no time.
The best surface for efficient braking is one that is as smooth as
possible.  If the rust has actually pitted the surface, you should
probably have the rotors turned, though you can only do that so far
before the rotors themselves are no longer usable.

My suggestion would be to ignore it, if it is just surface rust it will
wear off very quickly.  John Twist recommends using some fine emery paper
to remove the glaze that sometimes appears on discs and drums.  If the
rust is bothersome to you, try that.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX