[Fwd: Parts Washer]

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Parts Washer]
From: Michael Leach <mrleach@Fair.Net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:55:55 -0500

--------------8D011A11D70

We used dry-cleaning solvents in are parts washer.  I don't know the
flash point but it is flammable.  Once, my friend mistaked it for
two-cycle gas and put it into his fuel tank.  Amazingly it ran and did
not sieze.  I believe Dry-cleaning solvent is just vary refined mineral
spirits.

I won't take responceablity for a fire or explosion if something goes
wrong though. I don't no of any parts cleaners that are made to use
flammable solvent.  If you want to be on the safe side there are some
bio-degradable water based cleaners on the market.  I have heard they
work pretty good but not as good as solvents.  They are expensive if I
remember correctly and they come consentrated.  All you have to do is
add water at the desirable mix for what you will be cleaning.  Solvent
is not cheap either and it evaporates.  If you decide to use solvents be
sure that the pump and wiring is in good condition.  You would not want
to have a spark! Also it is a good idea to mount the on/off switch away
from the parts washer.  If it has to be close you should consider a
water proof housing.  A GFI outlet is also another idea.

Hope this helps.

Michael

--------------8D011A11D70