Re:

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@voyager.net>, Eugene Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov>
Subject: Re:
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:46:16
At 08:34 AM 3/17/98 -0500, Gerald Brazil wrote:
>(Where does it say you have to be QUALIFIED to give an opinion?)

Its never stopped me before!

>My first question is, "why?" Do you grease a lot of cars each day? Do you
>get bursitis from squeezing the handle? What does an air powered grease gun
>do that a hand powered one doesn't?

The only real advantage that I see, is that the air-powered ones let
you operate them one handed.  All you have to do is pull a trigger,
not pump the lever.  What this lets you do is use the other hand to
help hold the end onto that awkwardly placed zerk fitting, so that
the hose end doesn't pop off the zerk and pump grease all over the
outside of your ball joint or whatever.

>IMHO, the important thing with any grease gun is a good flexible hose that
>you can get into awkward positions and and a tip that grasps the nipple
>firmly.

Agreed, but I've found that even the ones with a "firm tip" will
still sometimes pop off - maybe I'm just clumsy, but I like the
idea of being able to back up that tip with another hand.  Of
course, I still haven't gotten around to paying real money for
that convenience!

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu