Best value shop tool

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Best value shop tool
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:15:00 -0500

-> Everyone will have a different "nomination" for the "best value" tool
-> in his shop but my vote goes to the my "el cheapo" air hammer.

 I'll vote for my vise.  A few years ago my Dad gave me one of those big
Taiwan vises that weigh fifty pounds and swivel in all directions.  I
mounted it on the corner of one of the benches and I use it every day to
hold parts while working on them, or even to just bring them up to a
convenient eye level.

#2 would be my Black & Decker 4" angle grinder.  Besides grinding and
shaping, I've used it to cut up angle iron, cut a hole in the wall of a
steel building to install a door, all sorts of stuff.  I view it as the
inverse of my welder - what the MIG joineth, the B&D can rend asunder.

 I have, among other things, two mills, two lathes, tire machines, an
engine balancer, welding equipment, and various specialized automotive
repair equipment.  My Dad was over a few weeks ago, picked up my (only)
hammer, observed it was an ancient no-name tool with the head worn
halfway down, and said, "Ain't you got a decent hammer in this place?"
Dad has half a dozen hammers, each for some esoteric specialized
carpentry purpose.  Everyone's a critic...

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
====================================http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm