Re: Air Compressor HP?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor HP?
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 16:12:05 +0000
Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   Would HVLP guns use less air? I am planning to use HVLP guns so
> that I can paint in my garage without having to evacuate the whole
> place including two other cars.

AFAIK there are two types of HVLP guns, turbine powered and compressor
powered. The turbine provided large quantities of low pressure air
without concerns as to water or oil in the air.  Obviously one needs the
turbine unit.  "Conversion HVLP" guns are powered by a regular air
compressor.  The "conversion guns" use a lot of air, 18 scfm and up
seems to be the norm.

>   I may be off base here, but I am under the impression that with
> HVLP it would suffice to just cover everything else and the overspray
> on my walls and MG posters would be tolerable.

I have not used a HVLP gun, so I cannot give first hand experience.
Reduced overspray is one of the selling points and I have read of users
who were amazed at the very low levels of overspray. As everyone seems
to know, conventional guns produce lots (and lots) of overspray.

snip
>   Does the random palm sander have a great advantage over
> the electric ones? I have a dual action electric sander that
> I am rather fond of because the dust collection in it works
> quite well with the shopvac.

I have used the sander when preping cars for painting. I like to wet
sand.  Use a low flow of water while sanding.  An air powered sander
works great for this application, obviously I would not use an electric
powered sander here.  The air powered is also a little lighter.  But
other than that I think the tools are equivalent.

Have fun.

-Roger