Re: Air Compressor HP?

To: <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor HP?
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:49:04 -0400
With respect to Campbell Hausfeld  compressors. . .

I bought one of these a year and a half ago, and have been quite happy =
with it
-- as has been mentioned many times on this list, the smaller compresso=
rs will
drive impact wrenches, ratchets, etc. relatively easily, sprayers/die g=
rinders
etc, with some difficulty, and sand blasters/ sanders only with enforce=
d coffee
breaks every 30 seconds.

A word of warning, however:

I bought the largest 120v model I could lay my hands on as my shop is i=
n the
garage of my townhouse (no extra room, no 220v).  This was the 4.5HP, 2=
0gal CH
portable unit (about $450).  I originally bought mine at Home Depot her=
e in
Vancouver, BC.  Late last year I noticed that there were two models of =
this
compressor around -- that look exactly the same. . .same price tag. . .=
same
stickers (CH Professional, 4.5HP). . .same motor. . .  The not so insig=
nificant
difference betweent the two is the one that was out two years ago was a=
 two
cylinder compressor -- the present model  is a single cylinder compress=
or.
Ratings drop by about 1.5 SCFM according to the stickers glued to the b=
ack of
the tank. . .

Steve Dillen
E-Mail:  SDILLEN@ca.ibm.com