Setting up shop

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Setting up shop
From: "Hamish Hubbard (and Ode)" <ode@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:27:14 +1200
Thanks to all for the responses (too many to reply to individually).
I have summaries the answers for which I still have some more
queries:

Tools - unfortunately no Sears Craftsman in New Zealand. Regarding
brand names, I think all the big names in "industrial quality" type
tools are available, e.g. Snap On. So please don't hesitate to name
names as long as it is not too obscure and not a "retail brand" like
Sears I can probably find it.

Air - Clearly a 5hp compressor is needed to run air tools. By my
calculations this is too much for the standard household wiring to
supply which is 2400W (5hp roughly equals 3500W?). Also I only have free
access to a 2HP compressor. So, I would have to get another circuit
installed plus a big outlay for the compressor and tools. I may be
forced to go with electric tools by the cost, which I was hoping to
avoid. I am hoping the compressor will be big enough to paint my
car (it is small - a Mini - so running out of air is less of a problem).

Welding - lots of people like MIG. My main objection is that if you
do introduce welding distortion there is not a lot that can be done
about it, and also that it leaves a big seam that needs to be ground
off. Comments? Most of my panel work will be panel replacement with
very little patching, hence I want a spot welder. I want gas for the
cutting and heating abilities as well as the ability to weld
"seamlessly". I have practiced and am aware of the difficulties of
heat distortion but still prefer this method over MIG. I would get
a TIG setup if I could afford it.

Once again, all comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hamish

--
Mini Cooper Web: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/CooperWeb.html