Re: Welding

To: <dcvjrv@flashcom.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:17:36 -0600
I've had two 110volt MIGs, which do fine for my use, which is probably
similar to yours. TIG is much better if you are real serious (roll cages,
formula car chassis) but they are much more expensive.

I got my most recent MIG from Sears for $250 - on sale, and post-haggling.
The gas bottle is an extra $100  from the local welding supply (be sure it
has a long time before the date code expires).  It does everything I've
needed so far, from welding exhaust to building brackets and adapters from
sheet steel.  Takes up little room, and I'd probably keep it even if I buy a
TIG later.
   FWIW, this one's a 90-amp. It welds as good or better than the 110-amp
Century I had before it.

Rex Burkheimer
 J-CON Coordinator, WM Automotive Whse      Fort Worth TX
Texas Region SCCA     FC #19    SRX7 #39
rex@txol.net  rex@ceoexpress.com

"There is pleasure sure in being mad which none but madmen know."  John
Dryden