cutting the cord

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: cutting the cord
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@tmlp.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:54:36 -0400
Seeking electrical help with a radio unit.

I bought a "Maxon 49HX" communicator to allow radio contact between my
son & I while we're riding our motorcycles. It works fine for the
intended use. I would like to mount the radio unit on the bike and
have a dis-connect in the wire between the radio & the headset
(mounted on the helmet). Poking around the radio's innards (can't
resist...) the cord has 4 wires inside. Two small wires (blue & black)
similar to telephone wire and two wires (grey & black) that have an
inner, insulated wire wrapped with braided wire.

Here's my query: can I cut this cord, insert some type of dis-connect
and still have it work?

Here is a link to the item I bought, (bottom of the page):
http://www.national-electronics.com/maxon.htm

Thanks,
Eric J Russell
Bridgewater, MA