Re: Bounce: Why isn't tjhis going through?

To: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Bounce: Why isn't tjhis going through?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:18:32 -0800
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:57:39AM -0800, Matt wrote:

> Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
>
> >OK, Matt, how and where did your reply bounce?  Who sent it back?  An
> >ISP or team.net?  Lots of reasons why something might bounce.  Let's
> >try to whittle the list down.
> >
> >-Roland
> >
> Hello Roland;
> Well I've got bounce messages and Headers.  If you or any of the others
> can help figure this out, that would be cool.
> I  really should have put this information into the first post.  It's
> like asking "Why won't my car start?" with no other info.

Heh.

[stuff deleted]

It looks like att's name servers could not resolve autox.team.net
to find either an IP address or an 'MX' or mail exchange.
(the MX is a DNS record that says "if you can't deliver it
directly, send it here instead").

DNS is a hierarchical cached system.  So for example if you are sending
mail to my domain lne.com, your outgoing mail server would ask its DNS
program to look up lne.com.   If it doesn't have a record for lne.com in
its cache, or the record has expired, it would ask the servers for .com
where to go for lne.com information.  Then it asks one of those servers,
which will tell it the info about lne.com.

So what probably happened is that either the DNS program on the local
att server sending the mail was too busy to answer the question in time
so the mail server gave up, or it wasn't able to find the information
because the DNS servers for autox.team.net were unavailable or too busy.

Eric