Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires

To: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>,
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires
From: Bruce Thompson <bandst@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:42:02 +1300
Steve,
Passenger car tires are usually 4 ply rated, and trailer or light truck
8 ply rated and are good for up to 60-65 psi. They have a load rating around
2000lb. each in a 195 R 14 which is the cross over size to your 215/75/14.
Radial tires 'can' give rise to more sway because the construction of the tire,
but this is easily overcome by the extra pressure you can use. The higher
pressure will also reduce the rolling resistance and make for an easier tow.
So you will get a much stronger tire if it is 8 PR, (ply rated) easier tow and
minimal sway at say 60 psi. And definitely get them balanced, It improves ride
and tire life, and reduced componant wear.

Bruce.