tractor

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: tractor
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:29:07 -0600
TONY CLARK wrote:

> It was a four cylinder water cooled motor of only about 12 horsepower,
regularly
> out performed by single cylinder air-cooled lawn tractors.

 I don't know what the power rating is, but I've ground the valves in a
couple of those blocks while trading some work out at a friend's machine
shop.  The pistons aren't much larger than shot glasses and the valves
are about the size of dimes.

 Engine shops hate to see tractor engines come in, though.  People
generally run them until they won't start any more, then are appalled to
find that practically everything that moves is worn slam out; you have
to send the crank out to be welded because it's already worn past the
smallest undersize, all the valves are burned and the guides are shot,
etc.  Tractor bits are also more expensive than car bits.  For some
reason, people think because they bought an old tractor for cheap, that
a new engine will be cheap too.  <sigh>

 An overhaul kit for a Kubota three cylinder Diesel costs as much as
four 350 Chevy kits; some cost a lot more.  Old Ford tractor bits are
cheap, and some stuff interchanges with the flathead V8, for which parts
are still easily obtained and inexpensive.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?