RE: tractor rec's

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tractor rec's
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:19:25 -0800
>  Actually, my favorite lawn mower is a 4wd Kubota with fat traction tires
>  (!).  and it would only have to pull the 800 pound capability of the Cub.

Well, that's only rated capability in 2nd gear.  At least to my mind
"dragging it backwards" implies a little more than beating it's rated pull
in 2nd gear ... and it's sure not something I'd want to have happen on my
lawn !  I've mowed a lawn with a 120hp row crop, but that doesn't make it a
lawnmower.

>  I'll explain the test procedure:  the 25% miraculous gain in test G dbhp
> was
>  achieved by the allowance of  unlimited cast iron and/or liquid tire-fill
>  weight. . . in some cases, tractor are loaded with ballast weights
>  approaching the weight of the tractor itself; not practical for daily use
>  and really tough on the tractor.

Can't comment on whether they added weights, but note that adding weights do
_not_ increase drawbar horsepower, only traction and hence (perhaps)
tractive effort.  If it could deliver 8.75 hp in 1st gear with weights, it
likely could do it in 2nd or 3rd without weights.

Also, test H deliberately only loaded the tractor to it's rated load, it has
nothing to do with maximum power available.

> It's lowest gear (the test tractor in
> #386)
>  is a really rapid 2.14 mph,  that's high gearing.  Serious tractors will
>  have one or more gears under one mph.

Yup, and usually a lot more gear selections to cover the range.  But I
thought we were talking $2000 tractors here, not serious tractors <g>

Randall