Re: Ford van brake troubles

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford van brake troubles
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:51:04 -0800
On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:23:52PM -0800, Jim Franklin wrote:

> I hope this isn't too far from the list charter...there seems to be
> a widely varied collective of experience here though.
>
> I bought a '90 E250 van for racing (motorcycles, not racing the van!).
> The front brake rotors were shot so I bought new ones. On the new ones,
> there is a 1/6" high protrusion in the center, about an inch smaller than the
> diameter of the lug nut circle, that the rim is supposed to
> slip over and rest on. Problem is, the I.D. of the rim is about 1/16"
> smaller than the O.D. of this pilot protrusion. On the old rotors
> there was about 1/8" gap so the rim didn't even use this as a load
> bearing surface, it seemed to add a trivial amount of support for
> the hub and outer wheel bearing, or maybe it's just the changeover
> from machined surface, where the rim sits flush, to unmachined cast
> surface.

You somehow got disks are are intended for wheels that align
on their center hole.

When I had my '72 Ford van I had a hard time getting correct parts
for it-- Ford seems to change things a lot in their vans.

Can you find a clued-in parts person or mechanic at the local dealer
who can look at the parts and tell you what's up?

Eric