Re: Suburban brakes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suburban brakes
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:45:32 -0800
On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:34:33PM +0000, mbarre@juno.com wrote:

>The car threads seem to get the list active, so here goes another one:  My
>wife's 96 Suburban is eating front brake pads! At first I thought it was a
>sticky caliper and replaced the L front, but they both seem to wear extreemely
>fast (< 10K miles) w/out regard to type pad.  The front wheels usually seem a
>little hot so now I am wondering if something is keeping slight pressure on
>the front brakes.  I have heard of older British cars having deteriorated
>hoses that swelland act like valves, holding pressure on the brakes but
>wouldn't expect that on such a recent vehicle. Any known problems with Chevy
>master cylinder or ABS faults that keep pressure on the system?
>TIA,
>Matt

Hi Matt.. first, your mailer isn't inserting carriage returns, so teh above is
one long line to me, meaning I need to include it all. Makes things messy.

Now on the CHevy, if both are wearing that fast, (and your wife isn't
mashing thepedal!) I would look at something that operates both calipers.
Possibly the master cylinder isn't returning all teh way back, so when
the brakes and fluid get hot the fluid can't return to the resevoir and
it puts pressure on the brakes. There's also a chance the proportioning
valve is getting wonky but I've never seen this actually happen. Have you
bled the system to remove what contaminants you can?

jim