Re: Granite care?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Granite care?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:12:21 -0400
Phil Ethier wrote:
> Edging away from the shop towards the kitchen for a moment (well, unless you
> have a surface plate in your shop):
>
> We bought an island/table with a granite top.  There seems to be no cars
> instructions from the manufacturer.  Sue believes this is polished, unsealed
> granite.
>
> Sue has a can of some stuff called Gell-Gloss, which says on the can is used
> to clean and seal fiberglass, Formica, and marble.  It makes no mention of
> other stones than marble.  It does say not to use on colored tile grout or
> on floors.
>
> So, what do you all know about granite?
>
> If a cleaner/sealer says it's OK for marble, would you feel confident using
> it on granite?

Polished granite doesn't really need to much care.  It pretty impervious to
liquids.  Marble on the other hand is very porous and definitely needs to be
sealed.

If you wish to take the precaution of sealing the granite, you might try
something that is more specific natural tile.  I used TileLab I got at Home
Depot on a granite countertop and a tumbled marble backsplash.  The marble is
extremely porous, however dried on spaghetti sause washes off the back splash
without leaving any stains.

The TileLab is a clear liquid that can be used on colored grout.  I replaced
the
cheapo builders flormica with granite floor tiles.  I used a grout the was
close
to the color of the tiles.  The TileLab seal the grout well enough that coffee
stains need the coffee make can be cleaned with a plastic mess scrubber to look
like new.

The Gel-Gloss probable won't hurt the granite.  I suspect it is a surface coat.
  If so, it may wear.  TileLab is an absorbed liquid.  Six years and still as
good as new.

Hope this helps.

Peter Thomas