please don't let my pump freeze...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: please don't let my pump freeze...
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
In the fine tradition of asking questions that have little to do with
a shop but that will certainly tap into the collective wisdom of this list...

We bought a cabin in the Sierra last February. It comes complete
with its own well and a submerged pump (a few hundred feet down)
housed in a separate pump house. There's a 10 gallon or so
pressure tank and various valving leading to the house and to
a set of faucets for irrigation.

We go out there about every other weekend. This past winter, we'd
turn off the valves, drain the irrigation lines (usually not
full) and leave a heat lamp going in the pump house. There's some
heat tape spiraled around some of the wires - I *think* it works,
I think it's got a little in-line thermostat, but I'm not really
certain.

Now that freezing temps are getting close again, I'd like to
figure out how to do this better. In particular, I'm unhappy
about leaving the 200W or so heat lamp on 24x7.

As far as I can tell, what you're supposed to do with heat tape
is make a straight run along the pipes and wrap with insulation
tape. I can do that - I'll probably replace this tape, just
in case, unless I can convince myself it's working (immerse in
cold water? pack in ice?)

The pump is deep enough that it doesn't seem like it could freeze.
I don't know if the line from the pump up to the rest of the
plumbing stays full or empties ... and I don't know if I need to
worry about the pressure tank freezing. Do I? I guess I can run
some heat tape around it, too, but how do I insulate it?

I don't mind running the heat lamp. I mind running it all the time.
I've looked for a 110V thermostat that goes down to 40 degF, but
haven't found one ... I suppose I could take a "normal" one and
try to "recalibrate" it.

Suggestions here would be most welcome.

thanks,
chris