RE: please don't let my pump freeze...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: please don't let my pump freeze...
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:09:07 -0700
> The pump is deep enough that it doesn't seem like it could freeze.
> I don't know if the line from the pump up to the rest of the
> plumbing stays full or empties ... and I don't know if I need to
> worry about the pressure tank freezing. Do I?

If temperatures stay consistently below freezing, yes !  The water in the
tank has a lot of thermal mass, it will take it a long time to get below
freezing, but it will eventually.  As someone suggested, one solution is to
leave a trickle of water flowing somewhere, so the chilled water in the tank
is continually warmed by the warmer water coming out of the ground, but this
isn't exactly the best solution.

> I guess I can run
> some heat tape around it, too, but how do I insulate it?

Water heater wrap ?  Ordinary fiberglass wall insulation should work fine
too, although I'd probably use some plastic over the top, just to keep the
fiberglass from getting all over (especially on my skin).

> I don't mind running the heat lamp. I mind running it all the time.
> I've looked for a 110V thermostat that goes down to 40 degF, but
> haven't found one ... I suppose I could take a "normal" one and
> try to "recalibrate" it.

NorthernTool has one designed for this for $25, goes down to 30F ... go to
http://www.northerntool.com
and look for item 162570.

Of course, another solution might be to just drain the tank when you leave.

Randall