Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact Wrench

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact Wrench
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:58:10 -0400
Hi,

The guys over ar 6pack sent me here.

I'm starting to work on my 70's vintage MGB and 68 Triumph TR250 and
have questions about tools.

These tools will be used for occasional home use in addition to the
restoration work on these old cars.

Mig Welders
===========
I'm looking at Mig welders and trying to decide if I need one with
infinitely adjustable heat controls or whether the ones with 4 settings
are good enough. The Lincoln SP135Plus appears to have infinite heat
controls while the Lincoln 135T has 4 settings. It's about $150.00 price
difference.

Is Lincoln a good choice. Any good places to buy them?

Sand blasters and Air Compressors
=================================
I was looking at an Ingersole Rand 80 gallon with 11 cfm at 90 psi--
single stage compressor. 11 cfm seems adequate for most tools, and I was
told that I could get by with less -- maybe 9 cfm at 90 psi.

The big question is sand blasters -- it's the biggest reason to get the
compressor. I am completely confused. I see a sand blaster gun and a
siphon tube for $15.00, and then I see other sand baster equipment for
$200.00. I have no idea what I need.

I will be sand blasting parts and repainting them. I will also use it to
sand blast rust for car body repairs. I understand sand blasting can
heat and warp car bodies.

I doubt I will do much auto body painting except for primer and rust
repair. I will let the pros do the finish painting.

Is Ingersole Rand a reasonable choice? I heard that they are very
noisy??

Air Impact Wrenches
How much torque do I need -- Is 250 ft-lbs adequate or do I need more.
Again this is for occasional home use. If I need to use liquid wrench on
the bolt and let it sit, that would probably be OK. On the other hand if
250 ft-lbs is simply not enough, I would spent the money to get
something more adequate.

Thanks,

Don Malling

Thanks for any help.