Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:24:15 -0600
Whichever way you go, GET A COTTER PIN INTO THE THREADS ON THE BALL.

I've towed all over the country, never a mishap (and BTW never greased the
ball).  I always stop a couple of blocks out and check the hitch, load, etc.
I stop again to recheck a few miles out, and then recheck everything at
every stop.  I keep the appropriate wrenches handy and check the tightness
of everything - ball, hitch, etc. - but had never found anything loose.

Last year, I borrowed a trailer (coincidentally, the coupler happened to be
greased inside - a first) and left on a trip to Florida.  We were late, it
was raining, and I forgot to do my usual initial stops.  125 miles out the
trailer tore loose - the ball nut had dropped off.  Thank God that traffic
was thin at that point and nobody was hit.  The trailer backed about 100
feet down a hill into woods, and the damage turned out to be slight --
except for the $300+ hole in my wallet for a tow and hitch repair, and a
huge dent in my ego for being such a fool.

Moral - make sure the ball has a cotter pin.  The loss of that nut can cause
as much damage as the nut behind the wheel   ;-)

Karl Vacek