Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?

To: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Subject: Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:13:45 +0000
At 12:47 28/03/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks. I din't mean to imply I hadn't looked but rather that there seemed to
>be a lot of conflicting advice. Some sites said do, some said don't...
>
>I figured this was a good source of BTDT info. Except the advice here is also
>yes & no...
>
>Eric

Hi Eric,

Greasing the ball is probably a matter of taste. If you live in the desert
then your concern about making a grinding paste could be valid, most other
times I couldn't see a problem. From experience two points to pass on:

If you're going to grease the ball make sure you fit a cover when it's not
in use, your S.O. will get tired of having to wash grease marks out of her,
and your, trouser legs very quickly...

Do grease any retaining clips on the hitch or ball coupling regularly. The
only trailer separation I ever had was down to that omission. Mercifully it
was while manoeuvering so no damage was done but once it has happened to
you it is once too many.

Good luck,

Nick Brearley