Re: Lally column rust

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lally column rust
From: Dick Atkinson <dick@grinalot.freeuk.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:01:14 +0100
In message <5.2.1.1.0.20030805202753.05ef1c90@optonline.net> you wrote:

> Hi Roland.  A lally column is one of those steel poles commonly found in
> garages and basements holding up various parts of the house.  Sometimes
> they're filled with concrete, but I have no idea if mine is.

Steve,

I would have thought that tapping the column gently with a hammer
(above the rusty area) would give a good idea as to whether or not
it is filled with concrete. An empty column should ring whereas one
full of concrete would sound dull.

> There is enough rust that the
> bottom of the pole must be thinner than it originally was.

I belive that rust occupies something like ten times the volume of
the parent metal. In other words, a small amount of steel produces a
large quantity of rust.

HTH

--
Dick Atkinson             RISC OS on an Iyonix pc
In sunny Chester-le-Street, Co Durham, NE England