Re: Lifts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lifts
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:33:39 -0700
Derek,
You are correct, I miss read that spec. I just did some further research on
this issue and was able to download the installation manual for this model
from the Bend-Pak site. It calls for 3000psi 4" minimum slab thickness for
the 10K unit, and 3000psi 6" minimum slab for the 12K unit.

So, I pulled out the build records for when we had the shop built back in
1996 and it specifies a 28'x36' 4" slab with fiber mesh and zip strips.
Didn't say anything about the psi rating though. I called the builder and he
said that their concrete is guaranteed for a minimum of 2500psi. I also
found an invoice where they charged me for an extra 4 yards of concrete that
was above and beyond what a 4" slab should have taken. When I told the
builder this he said I may have a slab that is closer to 5.5" thick.
Remembering that I had kept a plug that was cut out of the floor when I had
a toilet installed, I went out and measured it and sure enough it was 5.5"
thick. Now this of course does not guarantee that the specific location
where the hoist will go is 5.5" thick.

Anyway, the builder said I would probably be ok with putting that lift on my
4"-5.5" slab. I also found out that the two cracks in the slab are supposed
to be there. They are from the "zip strips" and run from one post to the
other across the slab. This stuff is slowly coming back to me. I did the
prep work on the site and recall going to great lengths to properly prep and
compact the site for the concrete. When I had the thing all compacted it was
a little to low for a 4" slab but I didn't want to hassle with having more
fill brought in so I just played for the extra concrete. Maybe I caught a
break on this one.

Wayne