RE: MB SLR Speed!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MB SLR Speed!
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:56:28 -0700
> Choose your road carefully - drive the entire surface at least once before
> any high speed runs to check pavement conditions.  A minor dip / whole at
> 70 is a whole different animal at 150.

It wouldn't be the first 200mph road car.  That said, there's very few
places where one could even *consider* using that.

Personally, a nice stretch of uncrowded (not all that common) unrestricted
Autobahn is good for 130-140mph - it's great to be cruising comfortably
along at 135mph, accompanied by traffic moving similarly, with your spouse
snoozing away in the passenger seat - but my personal threshold of
discomfort starts to close in around 150.  Those 250kph speed limiters the
Germans cooked up don't seem like a bad idea IMO.

Vehicle condition is important enough at 70mph, it's critical at 140mph.

In the US, at least in California, we've mostly forgotten how to build
roads; what passes as new pavement around here would be condemned as a
hazard in most of the industrialized world.

John.