Hello -- first post & question on floor coatings

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hello -- first post & question on floor coatings
From: orphancars@direcway.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:24:11 -0600
Hello,

This is my first post to the group, but I have been monitoring
for a while now -- a lot of info going around between the members!!

I have a question on concrete floor coverings.  I'm looking for
something to cover my garge floor.  Presently, I have a RustOleum
industrial epoxy covering on the floor.  The epoxy has been good
as far as resistance to fluids, but very poor on abrasion resistance.
NO lifting from not tires, which has been good, but after 5 years,
the floor looks very "tired" (no pun intended) and worn.

I'm open to suggestions.  I contacted RustOleum after it became apparent
that the floor wasn't holding up well.  They suggested a polyurethane
topcoat.  I'm open to all options -- is polyurethane the best way to go?
What about tile??  Is anyone using a covering that they would recommend?

>From what little research I've done so far, it appears that any poly
would go over the epoxy -- just scuff and recoat, so that's a good thing.

Presently the garage is my "clean" shop area -- no painting/welding is done
here, only clean work/reassembly.  All the dirty work is done out in the
real shop -- and I'll probably coat the floor out there with something in the
next year or so -- having a floor where oil doesn't soak into the floor is
very nice to have.

thanks in advance,

-jeff d
Fort Worth, TX