FW: Tools

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Tools
From: "Michael Burdick" <burdickm@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:44:50 -0500
Hi Gene,

I bought my press at my local Advance Auto for about $100.  The  brand name
is AmPro.  Harbor Freight carries one made in China for about 1/3 that
amount, but I don't know if it comes with the ball-joint adaptors mine has,
or about its quality.

The press is basically a very beefy C-clamp with an open cylinder at the end
opposite the screw to receive the u-joint cup you are pressing out.  You use
a wrench to turn the screw, and because of the thread pitch of the screw,
you can generate tremendous force to remove stubborn joints.  It probably
weighs in the neighborhood of 10 pounds, and is very easy to use on joints
still on the vehicle.  It's the best $100 I've spent recently!

Hope this helps,
Mike