RE: breke sleve

To: "shoptalk \(E-mail\)" <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: breke sleve
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:02:49 -0800
> hi:   because it is expensive to have White Post Restorations do it,   i
> thougt that i might try sleving a brake wheel cylinder with brass myself.
> i plan to start with a scrap cylinder.   does anyone know the general
> proceedure ?

Fred, I've never done it, but I'm somewhat interested in learning to do it
myself.  More because I like knowing how to do things than because of the
ridiculous prices charged by White Post.

>  i guess the following:      1.    use lathe to bore cylinder
> oversize  (how
> much ?)

Depends a bit on what you have to use for an insert, but thinner is probably
better here.  Removing too much may compromise the strength of the cylinder.
I would _guess_ that a final wall thickness of 1/16" would be about right,
so 1/8" oversize.  Obviously you'll need quite a bit thicker walls when
pressing, so your insert will have a smaller id when it's pressed in, and be
bored out in place.

>                                      2.    insert brass bushing   ( how
> tight ?  heat cylinder first ?  )

Again just a WAG, but given the limits of my skills, I'd probably shoot for
around .000 to +.001".  The brass will crush as it's pressed in anyway, so I
don't see any point in using heat.

>                                      3.    bore brass to original inner
> diameter.

Need a very smooth finish here, I believe the pros ream with plenty of
lubricant as the final step.  Have to be careful to prevent heat buildup,
otherwise the bore winds up being tapered; and take small cuts so the reamer
doesn't grab the insert.  Probably tough to keep it from winding up tapered
with a boring bar, too.  Might not be as much of an issue with a brake
slave, but I was planning to start with a clutch slave.

>                                      4.    drill holes for feed line and
> bleed hole.

Depending on the cylinder, this may not be necessary.

If you get any off-list replies, please summarize them for the list.

Randall