RE: breke sleve

To: <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: breke sleve
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:33:36 -0800
> I don't think you can have the sleeve too tight in the bore.

Probably not, at least until the cylinder or the sleeve breaks from the
force involved.

>  The
> sleeved master cylinders I've had leaked between the bore and the
> sleeve.

Loctite "circular parts mount" on the sleeve before pressing it in should
prevent that.

>  Others I know have complained of air apparently being
> trapped between behind the Sleeve.

Must've been a terribly loose fit then.   Even if there was a .001" air
space all around the sleeve (which would leak like mad), I don't think that
would be enough air volume to make much difference.  But then again, many
people seem to have a hard time bleeding brakes anyway, and I don't suppose
there's any way to tell the difference.

>  I would expect you'd want to
> chill the sleeve and heat the cylinder to help ensure a tight fit.

Maybe you would, but I'd sure rather not.  I find getting parts lined up
just right in the press hard enough, without having to work in a rush
because they are cooling/warming.

> Distortion of the brass insert was visible on some of my sleeved
> master cylinders.  One of them it was so severe as to result in
> binding of the piston in its travel.

Sounds like the "pros" don't use the method we were discussing.  All of
these problems sound like they're trying to install a pre-made insert,
rather than cutting the od to size after the hole is bored, and then
boring/reaming the id to size after installing the insert.  Since the insert
has to be fairly thin, the fit in the cylinder has to be light, and the
tolerances have to be much tighter.  If the tolerances aren't held closely,
then loose sleeves and/or sleeves damaged during installation would be
exactly the result.

Randall