Re: Copper Brake Lines

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copper Brake Lines
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:23:46 -0500
On Aug 5, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Randall wrote:

> Ask him how many times he has "locked them up" on his restored British
> car
> ... the system pressure depends entirely on how hard you mash the
> pedal.
> 1000 psi is entirely possible.

My Land-Rover had cupronickel brake lines on it when I bought it.  It
survived lots of panic stops, including dry pavement wheels locked
stops -- close to 30,000 miles worth of use as a daily driver, plus use
in off-road.   When I upgraded to a boosted dual circuit system, I made
lines out of plain old US 3/16" steel brake tubing.  I had problems
with the lines galling to the tube nuts, and had to cut a couple lines
to replace wheel cylinders.  Doesn't matter a bit how long the lines
are going to last if you have to cut them off to replace wheel
cylinders.

>> Also, I was under the impression that copper lines
>> were not legal to use according to most DMVs.
>
> It's actually a federal requirement in the USA.  The only question is
> whether anyone will notice.

Volvo, Porsche and others supply vehicles with cupronickel brake lines.