RE: Copper Brake Lines

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>, Shop Talk
Subject: RE: Copper Brake Lines
From: "Mullen, Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:03:50 -0700
Jim Juhas wrote:

> I'm interested in your collective wisdom and
> thoughts about using copper tubing for brake
> lines in automobiles.

It all depends on what you mean by copper brake lines.

Actual copper lines are not a good idea.  Although you will not have
corrosion problems, copper flexes and work hardens - then it becomes
brittle.  This is not a good thing when dealing with the high hydraulic
pressures of a brake system.  However there are "copper alloy" brake
lines that are available (and from what I understand, more common in
Europe), that are not a bad idea - they have a high copper content in
the steel, and are very corrosion resistant.  Although these are
commonly (and incorrectly) called copper pipes, they really are not (and
are quite acceptable for brake line usage).

As for myself, I've only had to replace brake lines on one car, and for
that car (an American), I purchased a pre-made set (already bent and
with the proper fittings) of Stainless Steel lines.  The cost for the
Stainless was around $180, and the standard lines were around $150.

Tim Mullen