Re: Framing nailers, HF or other

To: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Framing nailers, HF or other
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:57:41 -0400
I bought a HF framing nailer that uses slanted sticks of nails.  It has worked
well, but I suspect not as well as the pro models.  Some of it may be the user.
I'm a little timid with it.  Biggest problem is it bouncing (probably due to
technique) and sometimes getting two nails.  I was never sure though exactly
what nails to buy.  I could never get the ones that HF sells for it because they
were always out of stock.  I went with some clipped head Paslode nails from Home
Depot.

There is another alternative, though, that is slower but more precise.  I did a
lot of repair in my house, replacing some rotted 2x4s in a bathroom, using long
drywall screws and a cordless drill.  No shock to the adjoining walls and such.
This was before I had the framing nailer, though.  I also used screws for a
number of 2x4 construction applications when I did an addition on my house.
It's a pretty good method.  I could generally get a screw in wherever a nailer
could otherwise go.