Re: Horrible Freight MIG Welder???

To: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Horrible Freight MIG Welder???
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:58:06 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Patton Dickson wrote:
> I want to learn to weld and I want a welder.  I don't have much money to
> get into this.  Harbor Freight has just put one of their MIG welders on
> sale for $174.99.  That is in my range!  I also know that their stuff
> can be junk.
>
> Here is the info...
>
> 87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER
> For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux
> cored gasless operations.
>
>     * Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
>     * Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
>     * Open voltage: 19 to 30
>     * Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
>     * Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
>     * Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030''
> to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored
>
> Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush
> hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.
>
> I know that a certain percent of people on this list will say, this is about
> the best I can afford, is this "pile of junk" worth the risk?

My advice, if you want to learn to weld primarily, would be to get a
decent set of O/A torches instead.  That welder's specs, even if you
believe them, read as "suitable only for very thin guage sheet metal" to
me...

A set of O/A torches, on the other hand, are quite a bit cheaper
comparatively (a good set will probably cost about what that crap MIG
would), will teach you to weld just as well (perhaps better), can weld a
wider range of thicknesses along with being able to do metal cutting, and
will remain useful even after your financial situation improves and you
get a 'real' MIG.

MHO.

Mark