Re: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:34:29 -0700
Gee, funny you should ask.  We've had some mild storms here in Salt Lake City
and
have lost power to the house several times for periods of 30 - 90 minutes.  Not
fun
if you are trying to keep a couple of Team.Net servers on line.  One of my UPS
units is
now dead, so I'll be looking to buy a new UPS or two with the proceeds, if any,
from
the upcoming spring fund drive.  More about that in the next day, or week, or
month, or
whenever, the last few days have been a bit hectic.  Last couple of weeks,
actually, but
I won't go into that here.

But to answer your question about what to get, I'll suggest your basic home 300
- 500 VA
(volt-amp) units.  APC makes a 350 VA unit, which was just powering my desktop
machine
and the DSL modem, but now is running the main team.net server.  It has three
UPS outlets
and three plain, with surge protection on all six, as well as phone line
filters.  They sell
in the $35 - $40 range.  Hopefully you can get some locally, they are fairly
heavy, shipping
could be expensive, those batteries are not light.  At least you won't be
needing any units
like the ones we have in some of the machine rooms up at the U.  About the size
of a Triumph
Spitfire and several times heavier!  Check out http://www.apc.com/products for
some info on
what they have.  I think Belkin is another brand that sells similar devices at
you basic
computer or office supply retailer.

Anyway, you might want to consider such lower end units as glorified power
strips, and get
one for the TV and VCR (no need to reset the blinking clock!), one for the
stereo equipment,
one for the computer, whatever.

mjb.